Jan 30, 2012

DJ Rocco - Defected In The House - Ministry 11.02 Pre-party mix + Interview

How's your year been so far?
My year was blessed, thanks be to god. I had great gigs all over the world and met loads of nice people. I did lots of remixes but only a few original productions, but now it’s my turn for some original music!
Dimitri from Paris was one of your first introductions to disco and house...what other artists did you grow up listening to?
That’s true, Dimitri from Paris really educated me about the sound of New York and make want to start to mix music as a house DJ.  I grew up with Bob Marley, SOS Band, The Gap Band, Kool & The Gang, D'Train and so many more funky bands and singers, and I also had a period of loving people like Carlos Santana and James Brown. Also, every day my mother listened to the singer and poet Rabah Driassa from Algeria who gave me, I think, that affection for deep music of any kind.
Later I discovered people like Masters at Work, Kerri Chandler, Roger S , Victor Simonelli, Terry Hunter, Frankie Knuckles and David Morales. A big part of my youth was also techno music artists such as Laurent Garnier, Sven Vath, Derrick Carter, Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Mad Mike, Eddie Flashin Fowlkes, Glen Underground, Boo Williams, Armani and Cajmere.
You've been DJing for nearly 20 years now... what makes a gig stand out for you these days?
When the dancfloor is completely packed during your set and people are going crazy for the tracks you play, that makes it special for me, especially because my music is not easy listening or on mainstream TV. People thank you for the music you play… I’ve even seen people crying because the music  touched them deeply in their soul… things like this make a party truly special.
For you, what's the most important thing in making a party special...DJs? Atmosphere? Sound?
All of them are important, but I really care about the sound system first. I need a very strong one, especially for the kind music I play which is full of sub-bass but also still really clear. The right crowd for your music is also key to a good party. In the past I have been booked in some places where they were not used to my music, and I end up wondering "What the  f**k am I doing here!?"
Deep house has experienced a bit of renaissance over the last few of years, but it's something you've been championing most of your career... why do you think it's become so popular?
Deep house has made a big comeback over the last three years and its a good thing after a big wave of more heavy productions. To be honest I’m not sure if my music is strictly ‘deep’ house; the only thing I know is that I’m making music I feel is what I’d like to play as a result of my 20 years of DJing. I’m proud to be part of this return and it has given me new energy to produce.
What have you been working on in the studio recently?
Different original tracks and remixes, and a lot of work on my forthcoming album on House Africa Record for mid 2012 I’m working with people like Akram who sang ‘Each & Every Day’, Kafele Bandele who is a trumpeter, jazz composer and producer and Vusi Mahlasela, who is a traditional South African Jazz singer who’s known simply as ‘The Voice’ in his home country of South Africa. He’s celebrated for his distinctive, powerful voice and his poetic, optimistic lyrics. I’m also working with artists like Zakes Bantwini, Liquideep, Culoe De Song and Khenzy who sang ‘Hiya Kaya’, a track I also remixed which won an award for Radio Nova Era Music in Portugal.
My last original production is coming on Copyright 's label.  It’s an Afro drum track exclusively produced with live percussion. I’m also working on a more minimal project with my friends The TorrĂ© brothers with whom I’ve already released different tracks under the name The Soulshapes.
Anything else you'd like to tell us about... ?
Sorry for my French English!
You can see Rocco perform for Defected In The House at Ministry of Sound on 11th February. A limited number of £10 tickets are on sale now
Mix tracklist:
01- Georg Levin - Everything Must Change (Get Bad Mix)[BBE]
02- Daso-So Sexy (Martin Patino Remix)[Popcorn]
03- Jared & Sebastien - Cultured Differnces (Original Mix)[Seta Label]
04- Manuel Regnet - Let There Be Soul (Original Mix)[Crossworld]
05- Pascal Vert - LD 50 (Original)[Gastspiel]
06- JULLiAN GOMES (Feat. BOBBY) Love Song 28(Original){Marketing]
07- Kollektiv Turmstrasse - Was Bleibt (Jimpster Vocal Remix)[Connaisseur]
08- Da Funk - Words To Say (Original)[i! Records]
09- Tim Andresen - Sunrise (Original Mix)[Elevation]
10- Youandewan - 1988(Original)[Lo:Rise]
11- Anonym - If Everyday Was A Sunny Day-(Oirignal mix)[Bass Culture]
12- Klement Bonelli & Julien Kano feat. Juan Pachanga - Bailare(Julien Kano remix
[Krome]
13- Rocco - Untitled [CDR]
14- The Saliva Commandos - Conga Fonga (Conga Fonga Mix)[Launch entertainment]

No comments:

Latest Posts